Have you been suffering from depression or anxiety attacks? Or perhaps you’ve been diagnosed with PTSD or OCD? Maybe someone you know has issues with substance abuse or behavioral disorder? No matter which of these situations you or anyone you know are suffering from, it’s critical that you avail professional help to address the problem at once.
One proven way of dealing with such issues is what experts call cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This method seeks to treat various problems that have something to do with how one reacts to certain situations based on their perception. Some clinics specialize in CBT services in Westport and other Connecticut locations that you can contact to help you deal with your problem. These clinics offer several sessions in which a specialist will help you overcome your cognitive and behavioral difficulties, so you can once more live life normally.
Here are five benefits that you can enjoy by undergoing cognitive behavioral therapy:
- Decreased dependency on medicines. CBT is similarly effective to traditional medicines used for cognitive behavioral treatments. Problems like depression and PTSD generally require extensive medication to treatment but with the positive effects of CBT on patients, their dependency on such medicines is lessened.
- Short-term treatment. Another beauty of CBT is that the number of sessions a patient has to undergo is fairly short-term. On average, a patient undergoing cognitive behavioral therapy should only complete at least 16 sessions, although some patients may need to have a few more. But generally speaking, CBT does not necessitate long-term treatment, unlike other methods that deal with cognitive behavioral disorders.
- Structured approach. Cognitive behavioral therapy follows a highly structured model that guarantees the efficient treatment of patients’ problems. This means that as each session is done, the patient can expect gradual changes in his or her perception and appreciation of situations that affect how he or she reacts to them. With cognitive behavioral therapy, no time is wasted in every session as there is a clear path that the therapist follows towards treating the patient fully.
- Patient-focused. CBT treatments are geared towards understanding patients’ problems and focusing on their goals instead of imposing what the therapist wants to achieve. This huge emphasis on the patient helps guarantee positive outcomes since the patient feels that he or she is the most important element in the whole equation. This kind of patient empowerment is proven to be highly effective in achieving quick results for the patients.
- Versatile. As mentioned earlier, cognitive behavioral therapy can be used to treat a wide range of mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, different disorders (sexual, OCD, sleeping, eating, substance use, and PTSD), and many others. CBT can also be paired with other means of treatment such as medication to achieve great results.
Contact a CBT clinic immediately if you or someone you know has any of the problems mentioned above. A reputable CBT specialist will be more than willing to schedule your sessions and help you overcome your specific difficulties. Quick treatment can be a key to immediate treatment of the problem before things get worse.