BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil (Aug. Three, 2016) – The U.S. Women’s National Team defeated New Zealand 2-0 on objectives from captain Carli Lloyd and ahead Alex Morgan to get off to a robust begin in Group G play at Mineirão Stadium in its first match of the 2016 Olympic Games.
Lloyd staked the USA to an early lead within the ninth minute earlier than Morgan struck simply 34 seconds into the second half. On the defensive aspect, Kelley O’Hara, Julie Johnston, Becky Sauerbrunn and Meghan Klingenberg put in a commanding efficiency to assist earn the USA’s 14th shutout of 2016.
The USA now leads Group G (1-Zero-Zero; 3pts) with France and Colombia but to play their opening group recreation. The U.S. subsequent performs France on Saturday in Belo Horizonte (Four p.m. ET; NBCSN, NBC Universo).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
USA – Carli Lloyd (Tobin Heath), ninth minute: The USA stored the ball pinned in New Zealand’s defensive half when middle again Becky Sauerbrunn stepped up and volleyed a clearance out to Tobin Heath on the left wing. Heath introduced the ball down and drove towards the penalty space earlier than chopping again towards the highest of the field to lose her defender and swing in a cross towards the again proper publish the place Lloyd was capable of maneuver between two defenders and head the ball again throughout the face of aim into the left aspect netting for the early lead. USA 1, NZL Zero (SEE GOAL)
USA – Alex Morgan (Morgan Brian), 46th minute: Allie Long collected a New Zealand clearance within the middle of the USA’s offensive half and performed a pointy move to Heath close to the highest left of the field. Heath cushioned the ball for Brian to hit a fast cross to Alex Morgan out on the left, and the USA ahead struck a left footed shot from a large angle between the close to left submit and Ferns goalkeeper Erin Nayler for the sport’s second and ultimate rating. USA 2, NZL Zero FINAL (SEE GOAL)
Next on the Schedule: The U.S. WNT returns to motion in Group G play on the 2016 Olympic Games towards France at Mineirão Stadium in Belo Horizonte on Aug. 6 (Four p.m. ET; NBCSN, NBC Universo) earlier than taking off to Manaus for its remaining Group G recreation vs. Colombia on Aug. 9 (6 p.m. ET; NBCSN, NBC Universo).
- The USA improves to 15-Zero-1 in 2016. The staff has scored 54 objectives and pitched 14 shutouts whereas permitting simply 4 objectives.
- The WNT is 12-1-1 all-time towards New Zealand, outscoring the Football Ferns 49-5 in 14 matches.
- This is the third consecutive Olympics through which the U.S. and New Zealand have met with the USA profitable all three conferences, two of which have are available group play (2012, 2016) and one within the first knockout spherical of the 2008 Olympics.
- Carli Lloyd’s objective was the 89th of her profession and seventh Olympic aim for the USA, pushing her to second all-time to Abby Wambach’s 10 Olympic tallies.
- Lloyd has now hit double-figures in objectives scored for 2016 (10 objectives); it’s the fourth calendar yr – and third in a row – that she’s hit 10 or extra objectives (2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016)
- Alex Morgan scored her fifth Olympic objective and 68th general. The aim ties her with Mia Hamm and Tiffany Milbrett for third behind Lloyd and Wambach on the USA’s Olympic goals-scored listing.
- The recreation marks the primary Olympic begins for Mallory Pugh, Morgan Brian, Allie Long, Becky Sauerbrunn, Julie Johnston and Meghan Klingenberg.
- It was additionally the primary begin in a senior degree world championship for Pugh and Long.
- The protection of Hope Solo, Kelley O’Hara, Sauerbrunn, Johnston and Klingenberg took the sector collectively for the ninth time in 2016.
- Lloyd earned her 225th cap and 13th within the Olympics, tied with Solo for probably the most on the workforce. She is the most-capped participant on the 2016 Olympic Football event.
- Pugh, who made her 15th look this yr and 11th begin has a team-leading seven assists. With tonight’s begin she turns into the youngest American feminine participant to start out in an Olympic match.
– U.S. Women’s National Team Match Report –
Match: U.S. Women’s National Team vs. New Zealand
Date: Aug. Three, 2016
Competition: 2016 Olympic Games; Group G
Venue: Mineirão Stadium; Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Kickoff: 6 p.m. ET (7 p.m. native)
Weather: 68 levels; clear
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 1 1 2
NZL Zero Zero Zero
USA – Carli Lloyd (Tobin Heath) ninth minute
USA – Alex Morgan (Morgan Brian) 46
USA: 1-Hope Solo; 5-Kelley O’Hara, Eight-Julie Johnston, Four-Becky Sauerbrunn, 7-Meghan Klingenberg; Three-Allie Long, 14-Morgan Brian (9-Lindsey Horan, 64), 10-Carli Lloyd (capt.); 2-Mallory Pugh (16-Crystal Dunn, 51), 13-Alex Morgan (12-Christen Press, 81), 17-Tobin Heath
Subs not used: 6-Whitney Engen, 11-Ali Krieger, 15-Megan Rapinoe, 18-Alyssa Naeher
Head Coach: Jill Ellis
NZL: 1-Erin Nayler; 2-Ria Percival, 6-Rebekah Stott, 5-Abby Erceg (capt.), 7-Ali Riley; 14-Katie Bowen (10-Sarah Gregorius, 60), 16-Annalie Longo, Four-Katie Duncan (11-Kristy Yallop, 72), 12-Betsy Hassett; 9-Amber Hearn, 17-Hannah Wilkinson (Eight-Jasmine Pereira, 83)
Subs not used: Three-Anna Green, 13-Rosie White, 15-Meikayla Moore, 18-Rebecca Rolls
Head Coach: Tony Readings
Stats Summary: USA / NZL
Shots: 12 / Four
Shots on Goal: 6 / 1
Saves: 1 / Four
Corner Kicks: Four / Four
Fouls: 10 / 16
Offside: Four / Four
NZL – Betsy Hassett (warning) 18th minute
NZL – Ali Riley (warning) 30
NZL – Ria Percival (warning) 64
Referee: Kateryna Monzul (UKR)
Assistant Referee 1: Natalia Rachynska (UKR)
Assistant Referee 2: Sanja Rodak (CRO)
4th Official: Maria Carvajal (CHI)
Budweiser Woman of the Match: Becky Sauerbrunn