Sept. 6, 2017 — Shortly earlier than midnight, Tamara Rubin was roaming the aisles of an area big-box retailer in Portland, OR, together with her pal Carissa Berg Bonham, armed with a handheld X-ray gun and a smartphone.

They have been in search of lead.

They began with backyard hoses. The hoses have been OK, however some brass connectors and nozzles had excessive lead ranges.

“Unfortunately, they were doing inventory that night and there were tons of employees everywhere telling us not to film,” says Rubin, an unbiased shopper merchandise advocate.

When they received shooed out of backyard provides, they headed for the fishing gear. It was 11:07 p.m. They broadcast their findings stay on Rubin’s Facebook web page: “Lead Safe Mama.”

Sure sufficient, the sinker weights have been virtually pure lead.

“My husband remembers when he was little boy buying a handful of these for a penny and chewing on them all day long. You see that little line on them? You put them in your mouth and bite down on them. That’s what every fisherman does,” Rubin says.

Another sort of weight, dropline sinkers, examined even larger, about 800,000 elements per million (ppm) of lead. To put that in perspective, the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission says family paint and merchandise for teenagers are unsafe if they’ve over 90 ppm on their surfaces.

“Each one of these is enough to kill a child,” says Rubin. “If your youngster swallowed even one among these, they might have seizures and die,” she says.

Rubin has made it her mission to level out how widespread a poison lead might be and the way simply it may be discovered. Two of her 4 boys have been lead-poisoned when a contractor used an unsafe strategy to take away lead paint on the surface of their home.

‘,
shareTitle: “The CDC says no level of lead is safe for kids.”,
shareDesc: “The CDC says no level of lead is safe for kids.”,
shareImg: ‘http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live’,
shareLink: ‘www.webmd.com/special-reports/lead-dangers/20170906/lead-consumer-products’

);
);

The potent neurotoxin is particularly harmful for younger youngsters, the place it may well completely injury their consideration and intelligence. It also can hurt adults, inflicting high blood pressure, kidney injury, and, probably, cancer.

Children most frequently get poisoned by means of lead paint or from lead in water.

“It’s rare that a kid is poisoned by a consumer good,” Rubin says, “And if they are, it’s really hard to prove.”

But so long as lead stays in merchandise, the danger nonetheless exists. The CDC says no degree of lead is protected for teenagers.