If there’s one factor I notably love about running a blog and what I do, is the unimaginable alternatives I’ve had to meet with, speak to, and decide the brains of make-up artists, skincare founders and specialists within the business. It by no means will get previous for me, and there’s all the time one thing new to study. It’s no secret that I really like prying behind and digging deep into the totally different points of magnificence, make-up and skincare, and I adore it when some manufacturers recognise that and provides me the chance to achieve this (for higher or for worse).
Recently, through the official launch of the brand new Bobbi Brown retailer at Pavilion KL (now on the third Floor) I had the chance to catch up with one of my favorite make-up artists on the market – Felix Nguyen, Regional Education & Artistry Manager of Bobbi Brown Asia-Pacific, who I sadly ambushed with a couple of arduous questions concerning the model. Oops! To his credit score, he didn’t get flustered, and was fairly open to share. The different professional make-up artist I really like is Junior Cedeño of Dior, who single-handedly changed and cemented my foundation application technique for life.
It helps that they’re each scorching (eye-candy helps you focus 😛 ). Unlike many make-up artists I’ve met, who’re just a little extra distant and typically extra aloof, Felix is pleasant, and as beneficiant with his make-up and skincare tips as he’s with his boyish grins. Ok, I promise I’ll cease simpering after this 😛
So, whereas I used to be there, Felix did somewhat base make-up demonstration and I really like studying new issues about base make-up, so I used to be taking down copious notes. Since some of you on Instagram have been so type to praise me on my generosity with sharing information, I made a decision I’d be beneficiant once more this time. Ahem 😛
But right here’s the rub. As a good friend and I noticed, whereas being back-benchers for the day, hiding behind the gang who have been there, principally to rise up shut with the lovable make-up artist (oops! there I’m going once more!), the mannequin had nice pores and skin to begin with. Naturally, the skinny layers of make-up, as Felix was explaining ought to be used, mixed with his expert expertise, would render her flawless with out an excessive amount of effort. How about choosing one of us mortals, who’ve blemishes and all, as an alternative? 😛
I used to be serious about that, as I used to be writing up my submit concerning the base make-up tips I’d picked up. So I made a decision I’d do you a step-by-step, to present you how he demonstrated how you will get a flawless base, however I’d use me – imperfections and all, and my rudimentary non-makeup artist expertise. I actually needed to see if his tips would work for these of us at house, so I solely tried this as soon as as you see right here – and not using a lot of expectations 😀 It might have gone remarkably incorrect.
Except of course, as you’ll see, it didn’t go improper and I stunned myself!
For this function, I needed to present you that whereas Felix used Bobbi Brown merchandise (naturally), you need to use something you already personal. Will BB like me saying this? I don’t assume so, however I’ll say it anyway 😛 Also, even for those who’re not a make-up artist, like me, you can also do that! 🙂
So, very first thing I did was get the whole lot I wanted in a single place:-
- A corrector (non-compulsory to be trustworthy) – Bobbi Brown Intensive Serum Corrector
- A concealer – Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer
- A light-weight-medium liquid basis – EX1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation
- A stick basis (elective) – Bobbi Brown Stick Foundation
- A pressed or unfastened powder – Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder
- 2 brushes – 1 basis brush, 1 powder brush
It seems to be like so much of merchandise, however you solely use little or no of every. The trick is admittedly, layers. Thin layers, for a pure, flawless end. Incidentally, it matches my present motto of make-up software so I used to be already doing one thing comparable, besides I’m not as intelligent to execute it as cleverly as knowledgeable make-up artist does 😛
TIP 1 – PREP YOUR SKIN
First factor that Felix recommends is that lovely make-up begins with lovely pores and skin. So, make sure you prep your pores and skin with skincare correctly. He recommends a drop or two of facial oil, massaged into the pores and skin, which he says, helps make-up sit higher. Dry skinned gals, take notice as a result of this could be a recreation changer. I used to mix a drop or two of oil into my basis – the glow is gorgeous and it truly helps your make-up keep on higher too. Ironic, I do know. But hey, no matter works! 🙂
TIP 2 – CORRECT AND CONCEAL
According to Felix, in case you don’t really feel like having quite a bit of make-up on, typically, a corrector and/or concealer is all you want, simply to take away the tiredness, particularly from across the eye space. So, begin with a corrector to neutralize the redness and darkish eye circles, after which a concealer that acts as a bit of a spotlight and to cowl.
I personally don’t use a corrector. Bobbi Brown is understood for his or her correctors, however I discover it an pointless additional step. That stated, once I DO use a corrector, it typically makes a distinction. But I’m simply too lazy – not ashamed to say so 😛 I examined this out utilizing the Bobbi Brown Intensive Serum Corrector in Bisque. I really feel it to be a bit extra peachy than I like and I’d name it and say it’s optionally available. BUT for those who use this system, it may be an important step.
- That’s me, naked skinned with simply my ordinary skincare and sunscreen. By no means am I mannequin materials, which is why I had to see how efficient this system was.
- Dot corrector beneath the eyes, then use your fingers to mix out, patting into pores and skin. I used the Bobbi Brown Intensive Serum Corrector in Bisque.
- Then, dot on concealer the place you want it. I used my favorite NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla on the under-eye space and alongside the tops of my cheeks, after which mix it out with fingers. Pardon the out of focus shot – I solely realised it after I used to be prepping these photographs and couldn’t be arsed to take one other shot. You get the thought.
- That’s simply with corrector and concealer across the undereye space and alongside my cheeks. Ok, Felix was proper. I could possibly be fairly completely happy to simply stay with this on a no-makeup day, with a dusting of powder.
TIP three – FOUNDATION
For the remaining of the face, Felix suggests that you simply use much less basis, for a extra pure look of pores and skin. You don’t need to masks your pores and skin. So, use a light-medium liquid basis (he used the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation), squirted onto the again of your hand, after which use a basis brush, mixing it on the again of your hand, working the product into the comb to offer you higher protection.
Felix additionally used a flat paddle brush, however I detest flat paddle brushes so I used the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush as an alternative for this function.
PRO TIP: If your basis is streaky, otherwise you see basis strains or brush strokes on your pores and skin,you doubtless have an excessive amount of basis on your pores and skin or an excessive amount of on your brush. Wipe off the surplus after which mix it out.
Now, apply the inspiration, beginning the place you want it most. This is often within the center of your face, mixing outwards to your hairline.
You might discover that it’s the middle of your face that typically has the redness, across the nostril and cheeks. Applying basis on this space additionally “lifts” the complexion, and provides the looks of a spotlight. You additionally often want much less product across the sides of your face. If you employ the same amount throughout your face, it seems flat.
You’d be stunned that utilizing this tip of working the inspiration into the comb earlier than making use of, I truly used little or no basis! It was nearly half a pump, and I used the EX1 Invisiwear Liquid Foundation on this demonstration.
- Apply liquid basis the place you want it, ranging from the center of your face and dealing your approach outward to the edges and hairline. Don’t overlook to work it into your hairline or you’ll be able to danger wanting such as you’re sporting a masks.
- Next, in case you want higher protection, use a stick basis (Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick ) and dot it the place you want it, or use a brush to decide up the product after which apply to your pores and skin and BLEND. Trick is SHEER LAYERS. I utilized just a bit to the tops of my cheeks and blended it out. While I initially thought this was overkill, I used to be stunned at how it made the base extra flawless, with out my having to use extra product than crucial. This is of course, an optionally available step.
- Next, load up your powder brush with some powder (I used the Bourjois Healthy Balance powder), faucet off extra (ALWAYS faucet off extra) after which apply it solely to the place you want it. Again, that is often on the centre of your face, the place chances are you’ll have a tendency to oil up. PRESS your brush into your pores and skin, as an alternative of brushing it on. This helps the powder adhere to your pores and skin higher, and you may contact up because the day goes on, as an alternative of wanting cakey.
- And I’m carried out! I made positive I solely use skinny layers and the methods Felix talked about, and I’ve to say that the top end result did slightly shock me. While I’m nonetheless not mannequin materials, and I’m no make-up artist, my pores and skin does look a lot better than it did with none base on.
Here’s the side-by-side comparability of how it seems to be earlier than and after so we all know I’m not simply speaking by means of my hat.
Not dangerous proper? I assume the tips did work in any case, even on non-perfect wanting pores and skin and executed by an newbie! 😀
The trick right here is to use skinny layers, and construct it up. This method, your base make-up gained’t crack and your pores and skin nonetheless appears pure. It doesn’t take as a lot time as you took to learn this submit and is sort of fast in reality, upon getting all the things on hand. I discover the end extra elegant but very pure as in contrast to my traditional method so I actually like how it appears! 🙂
Did you discover these base make-up tips helpful? Will you attempt it?
While it gained’t take the place of my 5-line basis method, and I do nonetheless favor making use of my concealer AFTER basis, it’s one thing I’ll be preserving on hand as a result of this one appears to assist my base final higher too 😀 Do let me know when you do this – I’d love to know how nicely (or not) it labored out for you 🙂
YOU MISSED THESE POSTS!