The campaign group for fathers’ rights in Ireland has launched a brand new offensive, calling for an pressing package deal of measures to scale back casualties from the upper charges of suicide, alcoholism and drug abuse suffered by males throughout every nation.
In Ireland, 4 in 5 suicides are males, with these aged 45 – 54 most in danger.
The campaign, #SOSManDown, was launched by Fathers4Justice in Dublin, London and Edinburgh to coincide with International Men’s Day on Sunday November 19.
At outstanding websites in all three cities, members of the general public have been greeted with the sight of the bare physique of a person on a mat with the hashtag #SOSManDown and got real-life details about who that individual represented and the circumstances which led to their dying.
Fathers4Justice is looking for the next steps to be taken urgently in Ireland and the UK:
· A Minister for Men and Boys: A Minister targeted on coordinating a technique to cope with the lads’s health crisis.
· National Safety Net: A totally funded security internet for males and boys together with a nationwide Life Line and health technique concentrating on the causes of male suicide, melancholy and different health issues, in addition to supporting males in problem.
· Parental Equality: Automatic parental duty for all fathers and a authorized presumption of shared parenting and youngster help.
· A National Conversation: Around males’s health and fatherlessness and convey males and women collectively in unity to make a distinction to the lives of hundreds of thousands of males and boys.
Key findings from the campaign briefing and revealed by the group at present embrace:
· Suicide is the most important killer of males underneath 35 and ends extra lives than automotive crashes or most cancers.
· Over four in 5 suicides are males.
· The largest killer of males beneath 45 is suicide with eight males every week take their lives in Ireland.
· Because of social stigma and non secular taboos, male suicide is considerably underneath reported, or deaths wrongly attributed to different causes similar to ‘accidental’ or ‘undetermined intent’ by coroners.
· Dads are three occasions extra possible to die after separation than moms.
· Separation from youngsters seems to be a big think about some males’s suicides.
· The suicides of dads are usually not included in any knowledge regardless of separated dads aged 45 to 54 being the very best danger group.
Matt O’Connor, founding father of Fathers4Justice, stated the campaign has been born out of the tales of struggling and loss the group had acquired.
“The campaign goals to break the wall of silence surrounding the lads’s health crisis and calls on respective governments throughout the British Isles to take pressing motion.”
“We want women and men to join together to tackle this wall of silence. In the same way that women’s health issues should be relevant to men, men’s health issues should also be tackled by everyone because they affect everyone. Those suffering will be someone’s son, someone’s nephew, someone’s uncle or someone’s father.”
“We need a comprehensive package of measures to tackle long-term health issues which face men including a recognised voice in government to coordinate efforts and show that, whilst the majority of politicians might be male they have shied away from tackling this health crisis.”