Thursday , January 18 2018
Home / News / Pot Use in Pregnancy on the Upswing, Study Finds

Pot Use in Pregnancy on the Upswing, Study Finds

By Robert Preidt

HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, Dec. 19, 2016 (HealthDay News) — Marijuana use by pregnant women in the United States is up considerably since the early 2000s, a brand new research finds.

Researchers checked out nationwide knowledge from women ages 18 to 44. They discovered the fee of past-month marijuana use amongst pregnant women went up from 2.four % in 2002 to just about three.9 % in 2014. That’s a rise of 62 %, the researchers stated.

Human and animal research recommend that marijuana use throughout being pregnant could also be related to low start weight and impaired neurodevelopment in infants, the researchers famous.

Younger women have been most probably to have used the drug throughout the previous month, the research discovered. In 2014, 7.5 % of women ages 18 to 25 had used pot in the previous month. For women between 26 and 44, solely 2.1 % had used pot in the previous month.

More pregnant women (11.6 %) stated they’d used marijuana throughout the previous yr in 2014.

There have been additionally will increase in marijuana use amongst non-pregnant women of reproductive age. In 2014, 9.three % stated they’d used pot in the previous month. Sixteen % stated they’d used the drug throughout the previous yr.

The research was revealed on-line Dec. 19 in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

“These results offer an important step toward understanding trends in marijuana use among women of reproductive age,” researchers Deborah Hasin, Qiana Brown and their colleagues wrote. Hasin and Brown are from Columbia University in New York City.

“Although the prevalence of past-month use among pregnant women [3.85 percent] is not high, the increases over time and potential adverse consequences of prenatal marijuana exposure suggest further monitoring and research are warranted,” they added.

The researchers additionally recommended that docs display and counsel pregnant women and women considering being pregnant about marijuana use to make sure the greatest health for mom and baby.

Another research in the similar concern of JAMA checked out medical marijuana use amongst Americans. Researchers reviewed 2013-2014 nationwide knowledge. They discovered that 13 % of adults 18 and older stated they used marijuana in the previous yr.


Ninety % stated their marijuana use was nonmedical solely. Just over 6 % stated they used the drug for medical functions. Combined medical and nonmedical use of pot was slightly below four %, the research confirmed.

This research was written by Dr. Wilson Compton, from the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse, and colleagues. They discovered that amongst medical marijuana customers, 79 % lived in states the place medical marijuana was authorized. The remainder of the customers, 21 %, have been in states the place medical pot is not authorized. That discovering means that docs may advocate medical marijuana to sufferers even when it isn’t authorized in their state, the researchers stated.

WebMD News from HealthDay


SOURCE: Journal of the American Medical Association, information launch, Dec. 19, 2016

Copyright © 2013-2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Source link

Check Also

Has strong become the respectable face of skinny for young women? | Life and style

A era of Instagram stars and private trainers are difficult old style notions of femininity, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *