WE HAVE teamed up with OVO Energy, sponsors of the Women’s Tour and Tour of Britain, to offer one fortunate reader the prospect to win a duplicate chief’s jersey, signed by the winner herself.
On Thursday, the Women’s Tour will cycle by way of Staffordshire as a part of the 650km street race which ends in London on Sunday, the place the winner shall be topped.
For your probability to win a piece of cycling historical past, merely reply the query under:
Who gained the 2016 Women’s Tour?
a. Lizzie Armistead
b. Laura Trott
c. Joanna Rowsell
To enter, e-mail your reply to Cameron.email@example.com by Wednesday.
This yr, spectators on the Women’s Tour will be capable of compete for the coveted chief’s jersey themselves by way of a Virtual Reality Cycling Challenge, whereas additionally making their native communities greener.
Tackling one of many Tour’s most gruelling hill climbs – the climb to Middleton Top in Derbyshire – followers can placed on a digital actuality headset, leap on a bike, and pedal to finish the climb within the quickest time potential for the prospect to win a duplicate chief’s jersey. For each one that participates, OVO Energy will donate three timber to their area people as a part of its dedication to powering a sustainable future.
To have a go, make certain to go to the OVO Energy stand within the fan zone on Thursday on the end line at Hanley Town Hall.
Meanwhile, full particulars of when the world’s prime feminine cyclists might be seen racing by way of Staffordshire have been revealed.
Spectators can use the detailed timings and route map for the second stage of the tour to select one of the best place to view the motion on Thursday.
Gill Heath, Staffordshire County Council’s cupboard member for communities, stated: “Staffordshire is a nice cycling vacation spot for individuals of all talents and the mixture of quick rolling stretches and difficult climbs will check the peloton.
“The cyclists will cross by means of most of the cities and villages on the route between midday and 2pm and it is a nice alternative to time your lunch break to witness a free sporting spectacle shut up.”
Staffordshire County Council has labored with organisers SweetSpot to design the route and showcase the county and it is the primary time many areas could have seen The Women’s Tour.
The anti-clockwise route leaves Stoke to the east, then turns in the direction of Stone, earlier than taking in Stafford, Cannock Chase, Blithfield Reservoir, Uttoxeter, Cheadle, Leek, Meerbrook, Rudyard and Endon, earlier than returning to the Potteries and ending in Hanley.
More particulars of the route and timings might be discovered at http://www.womenstour.co.uk/stages/stage-2/ however some estimated key occasions are:
- Stone city centre, one-way system 11.33am
- Great Bridgeford, junction of A5013 Eccleshall Road & Newport Road, 11.50
- Seighford, Cooper Perry Primary School, 11.57
- Derrington, village corridor, 12.04pm
- Stafford, junction of A518 Newport Road and Sundown Drive, 12.09
- Stafford, A518 Newport Road by Tesco’s, 12:12
- Stafford, A34 by Queen’s Retail Park, 12.15
- Brocton, A34 by Chetwynd Arms, 12:21
- Cannock Chase, Camp Road by Commonwealth War Cemetery, 12.29
- Rugeley, junction of Penkridge Bank Road and Shooting Butts Road, 12:35
- Rugeley, junction of Bower Lane and Wolseley Road, 12.41
- Blithfield Reservoir, B5013 throughout reservoir, 12.53
- Uttoxeter, junction of B5013 and A518, 13.09
- Uttoxeter, A518 by Waitrose, 13.12
- Rocester, B5030, approx 300 metres south of junction with Station Road, intermediate dash, 13.22
- Hollington, Star Inn, 13.30
- Upper Tean, A522 High Street, 13.37
- Cheadle, A522 Tean Road by cricket membership, intermediate dash, 13.44
- Cheadle, A522 Tape Street, 13.45
- Froghall, A52 by Churnet Valley Railway, 13.52
- Ipstones, B5053, begin of Queen of Mountain climb, 13.53
- Leek, A523 junction of Ashbourne Road and Springfield Road, 14.13
- Blackshaw Moor, A53 by Three Horseshoes, 14.20
- Gun Hill, begin of Queen of Mountain climb, 14.23
- Rudyard village, 14.37
- Rudyard, Dunwood Lane, quick descent, 14.43
- Endon, A53, 14.46
Two Eisberg intermediate sprints can be contested by JCB at Rocester and on the strategy to Cheadle, whereas factors for the SKODA Queen of the Mountains jersey will probably be up for grabs at Ipstones and Gun Hill, close to Meerbrook.
The cyclists might be accompanied by a rolling police roadblock to maintain street closures to a minimal. It’s anticipated lead automobiles will cross alongside the route about 15 minutes earlier than the cyclists and, relying on groups’ techniques and the state of the race, the closure might last as long as 40 minutes.
The 240km stage is being delivered to the area by Stoke-on-Trent City Council and Staffordshire County Council and highlights will probably be televised every day on ITV4 and obtainable on demand by way of the ITV Hub.
Gill Heath stated: “Olympic, World and European champions can be among the many 17 groups competing in Staffordshire on the day.
“It’s going to be a memorable day and I’d like to thank in advance those affected by the rolling road closures for their patience and understanding.”
The Women’s Tour will start in Northamptonshire on Wednesday, with the opening stage between Daventry and Kettering and in addition embrace levels in Warwickshire and Derbyshire.
As nicely as having 80km of routes recognised as a part of the National Cycle Network, Staffordshire has tons of of miles of roads for cyclists of all talents, together with 240km of rural cycle lanes, 772km of public Rights of Way and greater than 2,000km of nation lanes.
Individual cycling maps for every district, which present each visitors free and quieter routes appropriate for cycling on the street can be found from native libraries. People can discover out extra by visiting www.staffordshire.gov.uk/transport and clicking cycling and strolling.