I’m satisfied that the subsequent “it” meals gained’t be an historic grain, leafy inexperienced, or any sort of “milked” nut – sauerkraut is what it’s all about! That’s proper, fermented cabbage has my coronary heart, and I’m positive it’ll win yours over too. Need some convincing? Read on for sauerkraut health advantages, an superior sauerkraut recipe, and concepts for utilizing sauerkraut!
What is Sauerkraut?
Essentially, sauerkraut is fermented cabbage. The means of fermenting dates again hundreds of years, when it was used as a type of preservation, lengthy earlier than there have been fridges to maintain meals from going dangerous. Sauerkraut hails from Germany, the place cabbage was combined with salt and put aside to ferment, preserving it and making a scrumptious and wholesome condiment!
picture: jules by way of Flickr
Sauerkraut Health Benefits
Like all fermented meals, sauerkraut is nice for gut health. The fermentation course of permits probiotics (“good” micro organism) to develop. When you eat meals wealthy in probiotics, you’re including wholesome micro organism to your intestine, which improves immune health, helps enhance your metabolism, and retains issues operating easily in your digestive system.
The wholesome micro organism in sauerkraut even have antibacterial properties that shield towards dangerous micro organism, like people who trigger meals poisoning. They’re additionally antifungal, which suggests sauerkraut is your greatest pal should you’re dealing with a yeast infection, fever, or widespread chilly – there’s even some proof that consuming probiotics can reduce the duration of your cold. All round, consuming sauerkraut can maintain you from feeling underneath the climate!
On prime of all the advantages that come together with the probiotics in sauerkraut, it’s additionally filled with health advantages from the cabbage itself! Sauerkraut is filled with vitamin C, an antioxidant that additional helps immune perform, vitamin Okay, which promotes wholesome blood clotting, and fiber, which helps maintain you fuller longer and decrease the danger of heart problems.
If you’re purchasing for sauerkraut, be sure that to select up a model with stay & lively cultures so that you get the probiotic goodness. Some manufacturers skip the fermentation (and the ensuing probiotics) and add vinegar as a shortcut for the bitter taste. The cans or jars you discover on cabinets at room temperature are sometimes the shortcut ones, whereas these with reside & lively cultures are often refrigerated in an effort to hold these cultures alive! Grab a jar of the recent stuff with probiotics, or higher but, make your personal!
picture: kentsheridan by way of Flickr
Easy Sauerkraut Recipe
The neatest thing about sauerkraut? It’s really easy to make! You gained’t have sauerkraut in your palms for a couple of weeks, however most of that point is completely arms-off. Check out my super simple recipe for making your own sauerkraut here.
Even although making sauerkraut is a sluggish course of, more often than not is arms-off. All you could do is shred cabbage, rub it with salt, and let it sit till the liquid has been launched. Then simply retailer the cabbage at room temperature, ensuring it’s all the time submerged in liquid, till it reaches your required degree of sourness – anyplace from 2-6 weeks! Once it’s there, you possibly can stick it within the fridge and take pleasure in it for months!
Are There Any Risks to Eating Sauerkraut?
Even although sauerkraut is filled with good-for-you probiotics, fiber, nutritional vitamins, and minerals, it can be fairly excessive in sodium. A ½ cup serving of sauerkraut can have upwards of 600 mg sodium, however it varies enormously by model – so verify the vitamin label!
Other than the excessive sodium content material, you probably gained’t run into many dangers consuming sauerkraut. Making your personal could seem dangerous, because the strain is on to solely domesticate the great micro organism and not the dangerous, however not a lot can go improper there! As lengthy because the cabbage stays submerged whereas it’s at room temperature, oxygen can’t get in to feed the “bad” micro organism – so your own home fermenting experiment is fairly darn protected.
Eating sauerkraut is protected, and even inspired, throughout being pregnant. I’d verify together with your physician in case you have a suppressed immune system, because the inflow of micro organism won’t bode nicely, however in any other case, eat away!
How to Use Sauerkraut
So you’re satisfied that sauerkraut must make it’s method into your food plan, however you’re unsure what to do with it? I’ve received you coated!
Keep in thoughts that cooking it does kill a few of the good micro organism that outcomes from fermentation, so use it uncooked as a lot as attainable! Here are a few of my favourite makes use of for sauerkraut:
- Use it on a sandwich. It makes an ideal crunchy & tangy topping, including a lot of taste (and health advantages) to your sandwich! One of my favorites is hen, avocado, greens, and sauerkraut.
- Put it in a salad. I really like including sauerkraut to inexperienced salads or grain salads with a bunch of chopped veggies. The sauerkraut provides tons of taste and means you don’t have to douse all the things in dressing! Sauerkraut can be a terrific addition to my Roasted Beet and White Bean Power Bowls or Green Bean Tuna Salad with Artichokes and Red Onion!
- Top your fried eggs with it. There’s one thing so satisfying a few decadent runny yolk topped with tart and crunchy sauerkraut to chop by means of the richness. It’s an excellent easy improve for weekday mornings!
- Blend it right into a smoothie. I do know, it sounds bizarre. But the tangy taste is scrumptious in a smoothie that’s already received some tartness happening – like my Kiwi Lime Green Smoothie! Blend a couple of tablespoons in and you’ll reap the advantages with out noticing a distinction.
- Top your pizza with it. Just like sauerkraut cuts via the richness of runny egg yolks, it’s an superior addition to a gooey, tacky pizza – like my greatest-ever Keto Pizza!
- Make it right into a slaw. Add a bunch of different shredded veggies and make sauerkraut “coleslaw” – it’s superior on tacos, grilled hen, steak, or salmon, or simply as an excellent wholesome aspect dish. I adore it as a topping on my Balsamic Baked Chicken Breasts and Baked Lemon Dijon Salmon to spruce up a easy meal!
Are you a fan of sauerkraut? What do you employ it for? Let me know within the feedback under!